The team behind language learning app Babbel have compiled a list of the most difficult to pronounce place names in the United Kingdom, stating that ‘British English is “famous for some of the most confusing pronunciations on earth”! Read on to find out the top ten most difficult to pronounce places in the United Kingdom!
- Frome, Somerset, England
- Ballachulish, Highland, Scotland
- Godmanchester, Cambridgeshire, England
- Omagh, County Tyrone, Northern Ireland
- Woolfardisworthy, Devon, England
- Beaulieu, Hampshire, England
- Bicester, Oxfordshire, England
- Ynysybwl, Cwm Clydach, RCT, Wales
- Rampisham, Dorset, England
- Quernmore, Lancashire, England
If you don’t already know these places, have a guess how they might be pronounced and scroll down to find out!
- Frome – “Froom”
- Ballachulish – “Ball – a – hoolish”
- Â Godmanchester – ‘Godmunchester’ (Gumster has also been offered as an alternative, but now little-used, pronunciation)
- Omagh –“Oh-ma“
- Woolfardisworthy – “Woolzery“
- Beaulieu –“Bew-lee“
- Bicester –“Bister“
- Ynysybwl – “An-is-abull“
- Rampisham – “Ran-som“
- Quernmore – “Kwor-mer“
Did you already know some of these? If not, which pronunciation shocked you the most? Let us know on our social media, linked below!
Do you need translation services?
International Translations are Members of the ATC, so you know you can trust us to handle your projects!